Sunday, August 27, 2006

The mysteries of men...

Chang can play Starcraft for hours. When I ask him if he gets a headache at all (after playing for like 4 hours), he says no, not at all. But when we are at a mall, he cannot stand it. The reason, he tells me, is that he gets a headache from all the different options and colorful displays.

Weird. Oh the mysteries of men.

I on the other hand, enjoy shopping and usually never get a headache from it (if I do, it must be from other sources, or the shopping itself has a targeted goal that I'm under pressure for). However, if I was to play a video game for hours, or even watch tv for hours, my head starts hurting a bit.

Another difference between Chang and I: sense of direction. While I'm about 89% clueless wherever I am, where North lies and where West is, Chang is like an X-men with special directional powers when it comes to finding our way to some place. For example, he came to visit me in AA, and he knew better than me how to get to most places. Yesterday, he went jogging with his friend at the Golden Gate Park. His friend lives right next to the park. Chang lives outside the city. They got lost, and Chang found their way back, while his friend kept thinking they should go the opposite direction. I'm also usually lost, except when I'm at a mall. :-)

[My God! I am sitting in my apartment, and I can smell my neighbor's perfume! From inside my apartment!! S/he must have just walked by. There's this new neighbor who's been stinkin up the hallways with his/her stinky ass perfume. It's sooooooo pungent. That is so rude! Yes, I think it's rude for ppl to spray up themselves with perfume like pipi le pew. Moderation, people!]

Anyway, back to the directionally challenged/directionally advantaged. I heard on the radio the other day that the sense of direction is actually helped by testosterone. Which explains why men have more sense of direction than women. I didn't get to hear more about this, but my theory is that this has to do with men hunting back in the cavemen days and women staying home to nurse the kids. Men had to go out hunting for that rabbit or deer, and boy he better not get lost or else he's gonna get eaten by that wolf by supper time! And so more men with keener sense of direction survived passing their genes down. Women on the other hand, didn't need to do too much hunting, so the results are mixed. We may have needed to exercise some sense of direction now and then to chase after that kid (and probably within the area near home)... which may explain why i am not so lost in a smaller, more familiar area, such as the mall (even if it's a different mall, i'm good. ). :-) Fun stuff to think about.

BTW, it really kills me when I ask for directions and men give me directions like "yea, go north for a few miles and then turn east." If I knew where north and east was, would I even ask in the first place and be so lost?

4 comments:

G$ said...

i am so with u on that! i have NO sense of direction (uh.. i know i don't need to tell YOU that!! lol) but i can totally tell u where BR is at the mall! lmao. i like ur archaic theory... i think it's got some merit. run with it. it's ur story. stick to it. ;)

luv ya!

Coffee Luv~ said...

lol! yea maybe i shoulda gotten a phd in anthropology. thesis: Natural Selection and Sense of Direction. Ok maybe not.

Syl said...

I am better with directions than my husband. When I visited him at his parents' in L.A., I knew where places were better than him. If I drive someplace once, I can find my way back without directions. He's been to my work 3 times and he got lost the last time, even though I drove in the morning and pointed out exactly where I was going.

Coffee Luv~ said...

i envy you guys. damn.