There's this relatively new guy at work whom I've started being friends with. He's a really nice guy (totally platonic) and sometimes fun to have conversations with. I say sometimes because this guy talks a lot! And I mean a lot. It's like I have to get up out of the seat and show with my body language that I am ready to end the conversation (10 minutes ago) and say "OK... Alrighty..." and slowly shift myself away and he will finally end the conversation. I don't mean to talk shit about him (he's a nice guy and also he knows he talks too much) but I just wanted to say for all you single men out there, that dominating a conversation not by your wit or wisdom but by the amount of syllables coming out of your mouth is definately not sexy. I find this esepcially true for men than for women. For some reason or another, I guess I, and perhaps the many others in society, condones talkative women more than they would for men. Well OK, I don't know about the rest of society, but this is really true for me. Well actually, I don't really like even girls that talk non stop either. Such a headache being around them! But for some reason, I think it's really worse when a guy talks non stop. Totally unattractive. This guy at work has been telling me how he has the hots for this girl, but unsure how to get things going with her. I really want to tell him that he needs to stop talking less and let her talk more! (And she is such a mouse, poor girl. Imagine if he's like this with me, how he might be with her.) A good listener is so much sexier.
...which leads to the subject of my profession -- usability engineering. For the same reason stated above, I think usability engineering could be a sort of sexy profession. Yes I do! We listen alot. We observe the other's body language alot. and based on those, we come up with rather witty ways to ask questions that make you talk more about your experience. We let you talk. OK maybe I'm kinda stretching it a bit --not about what we do, but the sexiness part. but hey test participants do historically hit on the usability test moderators quite alot! In fact this old dude at my study last week was flirting with me (or so said my observers in the back who teased me all day about it), dancing back and forth with his words, and he was really dissapointed when I told him our session was over and he had to leave. (He said, "I have all day!" I said, "well thanks, but I don't --I have another participant.") So you see, I think there's a lesson to be learned. Listening and letting the other take part in the conversation can do wonders for you especially in terms of attracting the opposite sex. So take note you chatty men out there -- we like that you can say interesting things, but do take care to listen and let the other have chance to talk.
Wednesday, August 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
are you saying people should start careers in usability to get hit on? ;)
Yes. -_-;;
I'm in usability and I never get hit on. For the record, I did not get into usability for the girls but for the free meals at Google.
hear hear!!! omg... 'member what i told u about ___?? he talks and talks and talks and talks, which is okay.... but dooooood..... ALL the time???!!??? i can put the phone down, go to the bathroom, have a conversation with my roommate, pick the phone back up and he would never have known i was gone cuz he was rambling the whole time. uh..... yea... listing is so much sexier.. ;)
LOL. You would think he was stuck on an island by himself for a long long time.
Post a Comment