Friday, August 18, 2006

Lost in translation

So the other day, I told Chang about the "RIP Software" thing. I was like, "isn't that so cute?"
He paused a bit, and then told me that, first of all, an engineering group at a big company like Lexmark would never let that pass through code control/inspection. Second of all, "RIP" means not "Rest in Peace" but "Ripping" = "translating a printing job". So there was an error translating a printing job that was sent from someone's computer to that printer.

I didn't like that explanation. I like the cute version better. Hey your printer is broken, but we'll put a smile on your face! Also, I realized then that I had learned about this "ripping" business when I worked at Xerox. But I forgot about it. That's beside the point though. How is the regular average jane user supposed to know what "900 Error. RIP Software" means (and RIP in caps)? I think the point was to just call the serviceman, and then they would probably charge $$$ to come and tell you that there's some error with printing job translation. ("No 'mam, the software is not dead.")

1 comment:

G$ said...

.......